Our Museum Today
Click on the menu at the top to find out more about the Middleton Railway Museum. This site is hosted and maintained by the cyber-volunteers of the DAR DPI (Dominion Atlantic Railway Digitial Preservation Initiative).
Middleton Station History
Wood Station 1869 – 1890
The first Middleton Railway Station was constructed between 1869 and 1873. It is not known at this time if Middleton was one of the original 10 contracted stations built in 1869 or if it was built sometime before 1873 as one of 23 stations present in 1873 for the newly minted Windsor & Annapolis Railway. Without a photograph, we can surmise that it was likely one of the simple gable roofed W&A first generation stations judging by it’s 40′ x 22′ dimensions and 200′ x 11′ platform, being the same as Hantsport, Grand Pre, Port Williams, Waterville, Berwick, Aylesford, Lawrencetown and Paradise. The station was also a telegraph station and had a 15′ x 8′ hand pump water tank as well.
Wood Station 1890 – 1915
A larger station was built in 1890. It was anticipated that Middleton would be the junction of a number of soon to be built branches and lines and so a large station becoming of the level and trade and industry that Middleton would soon be receiving was built.
In 1894, the Windsor & Annapolis Railway acquired the Western Counties Railway and created a new entity called the Dominion Atlantic Railway to connect Halifax all the way to Yarmouth. In 1911, the Canadian Pacific Railway leased the Dominion Atlantic Railway for 999 years.
Wood Station 1915 – Present
Our museum is the third Middleton station to be built and was a Canadian Pacific Railway design contructed following a disastrous fire that destroyed the original Windsor & Annapolis Railway 3 story station in 1915.
We know the current freight shed attached to the station is either an addition or expansion of an early shed and was already in place in the mid 50’s by the photo record we have on the wiki.
The station is painted in the orginal Windsor & Atlantic “straw” yellow with dark brown trim. The use of the straw yellow continued into the Dominion Atlantic days but after the CPR lease of the railway eventually all stations were repainted the familiar Tuscan red. Paint samples were taken from protected locations on the building and scrupulously matched by a local paint supplier to insure the authenticity of the museum’s exterior.
For more information and photos, please visit the Middleton Railway Station at the DAR DPI site.